Gerry joined us in December 2015 as part of the Master Gardeners of Ventura County where he helped us plant a Chumash Native Garden on the outside perimeter of the park.. After working in agriculture and pest control for 30 years in Florida and more recently in Ventura County, Gerry has brought his talents to our park. He has lead the development of our Ag Gardens with the planting of some of the historic crops of Oxnard like sugar beets, lima beans, barley, corn and more. Gerry has also planted beneficial plants as well to compliment some of the other crops on display.
Jeffrey Wayne Maulhardt
Jeff is a fifth generation descendent of the Jacob Maulhardt & Doretta Kohler and the Johannes Borchard & Elizabeth Schwedhelm families. Both families are German immigrants to America. It was the marriage of their children, Louis Maulhardt & Theresa Borchard that brought the two pioneer families together.
Jacob was the brother to Gottfried Maulhardt, who traveled with the Christian Borchard family to this area in 1867. They were among the farmers who planted the first commercial crop, barley, on the Oxnard Plain. Jacob worked his way down the coast and joined his brother in 1869. Jacob, Gottfried and Johannes Borchard leased 1240 acres from Juan Camarillo, who purchased the land from original La Colonia land grantee Rafael Gonzalez. By 1872, Jacob, Gottfried and Johannes bought the 1240 acres for $10 an acre. The Oxnard Historic Farm Park is located on a portion of this original land. The first house they lived in is also a part of the Farm Park.
Jeff taught American History at Robert J. Frank Intermediate School for 30 years and retired early in June 2013 to devote more time to his business, Maulhardt Insurance Agency as well as more time at the Farm Park. Jeff has also authored 13 local books.
OXNARD HISTORIC FARM PARK FOUNDATION
Tel: 805 844-9877
Jacob and Doretta Kohler Maulhardt family 1893
JFrank Robert Naumann
We welcome longtime Farm Park sponsor and newest member the board Frank Robert Naumann. The Namuman family imigrated from Aschersleben, Geramny in 1886 and settled in Galvaton, Texas before moving to Chino California in 1893. Soon after the Oxnard sugar factory was completed in 1898 the Naumann's relocated to the Ocean View area of the Oxnard Plain. Frank followed in his family's footsteps in farming as well as authorship having recently completed a history of the Masonic Cemetery.
Naumann's above from left to right:
Frank, Robert, Gustav and Samuel Naumann.